USWNT Show Up In First Olympic Game, While The U.S. Men Fail

Recaps of both USWNT and U.S. Men Olympic Team soccer games

08.02.24

U.S. Men’s Olympic Team Loses 3-0 to Home Team France                                    

In one of the toughest groups with New Zealand, Guinea, and the host, the 1984 gold winner of this tournament, France, the U.S. men were expected to face adversity. Despite the final score, in the first half, the U.S. played well. While managing to stop and endure French attacks, the U.S. front line created good chances, two of which landed on the goalpost. 

Later into the second half, French overage veteran Alexandre Lacazette bangs in the game’s first goal, changing how the Americans must play. Forced into playing a more offensive style, the U.S. leaves more spaces open for the French to take advantage of. Later in the 69th and 85th minutes, Michael Olise and Loïc Badé get past U.S. goalkeeper Patrick Schulte.

A major problem with the U.S. attacks is the fact both of our offensive wingers, Paxton Aaronson and Kevin Paredes, are on the opposite sides they normally play on, which impaired their ability to finish and give balls to Duncan McGuire. Unlike their French competitors, there is also no clear leader or veteran to push the team in the right direction.

USWNT Beat Zambia with a 3-0 Dominate Performace

The USWNT started the game rocky — struggling to keep the ball or pass it accurately — however, after a couple of minutes, the team began to connect more easily and began to dominate. With a strong U.S. defensive unit, Zambia managed to get past Noami Girma only a few times in the first half. Offensively is where the USWNT shone the most, with beautiful build-ups from the midfield, run by Lindsey Horan, into the opposition’s box, resulting in three goals by Trinity Rodman and a brace by Malory Swanson.

The way the USWNT played was a far cry from how they played in the previous World Cup. Comparing their hesitant and goalless structure to how they now play under Emma Hayes, a structured yet fluid offensive style is like night and day.

The second half was less exciting, with the many substitutions to give the U.S. stars a chance to recover for the next game. Despite Zambai’s red card, their front line starring NWSL favorite Barbra Banda began to push the U.S. until the last minute. 

Ayah Al-Masyabi, (she/her) is from Aurora, Colorado, and is an artist, writer, and journalist who covers culture and sports. Follow her on Instagram @ayahalmart or YouTube @AyahSoccer.