Young Gamers Want More Depth in Video Games

Artificial Intelligence might be the answer to this issue.

06.18.24
Young Gamers Want More Depth in Video Games (Getty Images)

Sony has been making significant strides with AI technology recently, a trend highlighted by Neil Druckmann’s controversial comments. While generative AI holds potential for game development, the practical applications often clash with the executive vision of reducing reliance on voice actors and writers under the guise of “reactivity.” PC Gamer reported on this growing sentiment.

Amidst the Druckmann debate, another perspective emerged from Asad Qizilbash, head of PlayStation productions and products, who shared his thoughts on AI in a Sony website interview. Qizilbash suggested that AI will revolutionize gaming through personalization and emotional engagement. He said, “In the future, I see games becoming more personalized due to technological advances and AI.” He envisions these advancements enhancing the emotional depth of games by making characters more expressive and fostering more evocative storytelling, shifting the focus from graphics to immersive narratives.

Qizilbash’s statements imply that pre-2024 games were primarily about graphics and superficial achievements, ignoring the profound emotional impact games have had for years. This narrative overlooks countless examples of games that have deeply moved players without the aid of advanced AI. For instance, Supergiant’s “Bastion” presents players with a poignant choice between revenge and mercy. In its climax, the protagonist, the Kid, can save Zulf, an enemy who betrayed him or left him to die. Choosing to save Zulf results in a silent but powerful moment of selflessness, conveying deep meaning without any dialogue or AI intervention.

Qizilbash also asserted that AI will create more personalized and meaningful experiences, especially for Gen Z and Gen Alpha, who crave personalization in all aspects of life. He suggested that AI could allow NPCs in games to interact with players based on their actions, enhancing immersion. However, this perspective undervalues the existing capacity of developers to create compelling narratives and personalized experiences without AI. Games like “Baldur’s Gate 3” have already demonstrated the ability to deliver richly immersive experiences.

The notion that new technologies are needed to create emotionally resonant stories is misleading based on what many video game fans feel. Developers have been crafting impactful narratives for decades, with early examples like “Missile Command” capturing the anxiety of the Cold War era with simple graphics and sounds.

Qizilbash’s comments might seem dismissive of the storytelling prowess already demonstrated in the gaming industry. Some young folks believe that both Gen Z and Gen Alpha are capable of appreciating a well-told story without the need for AI-driven personalization or excessive machine-generated content. Ultimately, while AI has its uses, it’s not essential for delivering meaningful narratives in games in the view of most gamers.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer based in Corona, CA who covers culture and entertainment.