Teen Prodigy Adrit Rao Develops Apps to Enhance Healthcare

AI and app development drive the 16-year-old’s passion for healthcare.

02.20.24
Teen Prodigy Adrit Rao Develops Apps to Enhance Healthcare (Tomas Ovalle/Silicon Valley Business Journal)

California; HaywardIn a world driven by technology, 16-year-old Adrit Rao stands out as a remarkable individual, using his passion for coding to make a meaningful impact in the field of healthcare. As an intern at Stanford University and a budding app developer, he is breaking barriers and revolutionizing the way we approach healthcare challenges.

Rao was one of the students honored by Apple during its annual Swift Student Challenge, where student developers have the opportunity to showcase their creativity and coding capabilities through app playgrounds and earn real-world skills that they can take into their careers and beyond.

His journey into coding began at the tender age of eight. What started as a cool hobby soon transformed into a mission to create apps that could bring about real-world change. 

"It doesn’t feel like work or a burden," Rao said about his coding endeavors, highlighting the genuine enthusiasm that fuels his projects.

His interest in app development was sparked by the desire to share ideas globally.

"Apps are a way to share ideas globally," he said, emphasizing the power of technology in connecting people and solving everyday problems.

At 13, Rao secured an internship at Stanford University, an experience that would shape his trajectory. During the pandemic, he channeled his skills into creating 'ShopQuick,' an app designed to alleviate the challenges faced by shoppers dealing with long wait times and other inconveniences.

"I use AI in order to make the app work," Rao said, showcasing his innovative approach to problem-solving.

When asked about his perspective on AI, Rao acknowledges its dual nature.

"AI has two sides to it. I have seen what it can do to help, especially in healthcare. Signer itself is proof of the positive impacts that AI has. Just like any powerful tool, it can be used for good and bad," he states, highlighting the responsibility of harnessing the potential of artificial intelligence.

Looking ahead, Rao said his desire to continue his technological journey, utilizing cutting-edge tools like Auto ABI using Swift. This tool, he explained, can use sound to detect diseases, showcasing his commitment to leveraging technology for the betterment of healthcare.

Rao’s family has been a pillar of support throughout his journey.

"My family was really supportive. Getting to meet Tim Cook was part of motivating me to continue my journey," he shared, emphasizing the importance of encouragement and mentorship in fostering young talent.

Pictured: Dr. Oliver Aalami, the professor Rao has interned with since he was 13. Aalami teaches Stanford's CS342 course on Swift app development for digital health where Rao has been a project coach. TDr. Paul Schmiedmayer, who is the Assistant Director of Digital Health at Stanford's Biodesign. (Tomas Ovalle/Silicon Valley Business Journal)

In a world where innovation knows no age limits, Rao serves as an inspiring example of a young mind making a significant impact in the realm of technology and healthcare. His story is a testament to the potential that lies within the next generation of innovators, showcasing the limitless possibilities when passion meets skill.

Applications for the Challenge are open through Feb. 25.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.