Best Technology Stories Of 2013

12.20.13
Best Technology Stories Of 2013
rideshare_550x300_noblurA big year for teens and tech. Youth Radio reported on the popularity of Pokemon video games and cards, and why the franchise continues to be a thriving cultural force spanning multiple generations. The Tech Desk also explored how teens are using both Twitter and Snapchat in unexpected ways. Finally, check out a couple videos from our Brains and Beakers series, that show teens interacting with innovative tools to change society and our environment. The Surprising Cultural Stamina of Pokemon, By Noah Nelson When the Pokemon cartoon theme song first hit American TV airwaves in 1998, “Gotta catch ‘em all,” became a mantra for kids. But few people imagined that in 2013, the stars of this cartoon would still be going strong through new releases of the video game and cards. Teens Use Twitter To Thumb Rides, By Bianca Brooks Who needs a chaperone when you can get rides from friends and acquaintances through Twitter and Facebook? "Maybe it’s because I’ve never owned one, but to me, cars have always simply been something to get me from point A to B. I take cars for what they are: transportation, and whenever I try to imagine my 'dream car,' I draw a blank. Then, I reach for my phone." Brains and Beakers: Toying With Engineering, By Christina So

Two recent Stanford graduates are trying to get more girls interested in technology — by embedding it in dollhouses. The founders of Roominate, Alice Brooks and Bettina Chen, took the concept of building toys for girls to a whole new level by adding wires and generators.

How Young People Are Really Using Snapchat, By Sunday Simon Contrary to popular belief, teens say Snapchat isn't about sexting. It's about sending pictures too silly for Instagram or Facebook. Then those pictures disappear. Brains and Beakers: Gamifying Air Pollution, By Kayla Garrett Could video games save the environment? Maybe with the right video game. That’s what Greg Niemeyer is trying to build. Niemeyer specializes in digital art, and his most recent work focuses on games that seek and support cultural change.