Biometrics: A Double-Edged Sword for Youth in the Digital Age

Do the benefits of using biometric technology at school outweigh the privacy concerns they raise?

07.30.24
Biometrics: A Double-Edged Sword for Youth in the Digital Age (Getty Images)

In a bid to modernize educational institutions and streamline operations, an increasing number of schools are adopting biometric technology. From fingerprint scanners to facial recognition systems, these innovations promise to revolutionize daily administrative tasks and bolster security measures. In fact, a research study done by Dr. Anne Marie Dunphy said there are more than two million students use biometrics every day in their schools, across 48 states in the U.S. 

Just recently, schools in Colorado began adopting biometrics for safety, administrative use, and even for the use of school lunch distribution. However, their implementation has sparked debates over privacy concerns and ethical implications.

The use of biometrics in educational settings is gaining traction. Schools are adopting systems that use biometric technology, specifically to increase their security. “High-tech solutions such as facial and weapons recognition technology — which is powered by artificial intelligence — can be an alluring solution for school boards and superintendents looking to reassure parents that their school campuses are safe” said Kenneth Trump, the president of National School Safety and Security Services, a  consulting firm.

Furthermore, biometric technology offers schools a means to automate routine tasks that have traditionally been labor-intensive and prone to errors. Attendance tracking, for instance, is being transformed with the introduction of fingerprint or facial recognition systems. 

On the other hand using biometric technology in schools can pose a significant threat to the privacy of students and staff. Surveillance technology can also undermine a positive school climate and relationships with parents. According to the Public Interest Privacy Center there’s research showing that when students feel constantly watched by surveillance systems, it erodes students’ and parents’ trust in schools. 

One student, Hayley Scheffel*, a junior Notre Dame High School in Bridge Point, West Virginia said she feels apprehensive. 

“I know my school uses a lot of facial recognition technology in the building and sometimes it makes me nervous that I am always being watched,” Scheffel said. 

Furthermore, biometric technology is not always reliable. The technology has a spotty track record when it comes to accurately identifying many groups of people: including women, people of color, non-binary and transgender people, and children. In fact, Research by the Cognitive Science Committee exposes error rates in biometric technology across demographic groups, with the poorest accuracy found in subjects who are female, black, or hispanic. In conclusion, schools must be careful when using biometric technology, and must be aware of the risks that come with using it. 

Leah Mordehai (she/her) is from San Francisco and is a youth journalist. 

*Name has been changed for privacy reasons.