Content in partnership with Talker

Gamers Risk Going Deaf Due to Blasting Sound Levels

Researchers say anything over 85 decibels for a sustained period can cause hearing loss or tinnitus.

01.30.24
Gamers Risk Going Deaf Due to Blasting Sound Levels (Getty Images)

Gamers risk going deaf or developing tinnitus due to ear-blasting sound levels on their consoles, medics warn.

Sound levels peaked at short bursts of 119 decibels, the equivalent sound of a bulldozer or motorbike.

But a lot of the time they are near, or exceed, safe limits, with the top levels of 89 decibels the equivalent of a vacuum cleaner, food blender or people shouting.

Anything over 85 decibels for a sustained period can cause hearing loss or tinnitus.

Researchers looked at the available evidence involving 50,000 people worldwide to reach their conclusion, published in the journal BMJ Public Health.

The experts from the World Health Organization and the Medical University of South Carolina urge greater public health efforts to raise awareness of the potential risks.

There have been a lot of studies into music venues, headphones and earbuds in regards to music but less so to video games and esports.

Games often last for hours at a time with high-intensity sound levels causing damage amongst the world's three billion gamers.

Originally published by Talker News