The Gee Code: Will AI Teachers Assistants Become Normalized at HBCUs?

07.02.24

Morehouse College is trailblazing their position in deep tech with the introduction of 3D, AI teachers assistants.

Led by Dr.Muhsinah Morris, a senior assistant professor in education and metaversity director at Morehouse who led the charge on the HBCU becoming the world’s first Metaversity has helped launch artificial intelligence-based teachers assistants to further personalize each student’s individual education journey. 

With the help of AI teachers assistants, professors will receive an extra hand that is available 24/7 to support managing assessments, scheduling office hours and providing 3D demonstrations of lessons. AI TAs at Morehouse also have the capability to be conversational with students in a variety of languages. 

Morehouse’s embrace of the metaverse has instilled hope in me as an HBCU alumna who works at the intersection of tech and higher education. 

Unfortunately, 82% of the nation’s 100+ HBCUs are located in broadband deserts, which are regions that lack fast and reliable internet access. 

This issue in addition to the fact that a large majority of HBCUs are underfunded, without access to resources in deep tech has led to a large digital divide between HBCUs and PWIs.

Due to the lack of AI readiness in the community’s color, the advancement of AI technology is estimated to widen the racial economic gap in the U.S. by a staggering $43 billion, per McKinsey and Company.

If the digital divide between HBCUs and PWIs persists, these historic institutions run the risk of becoming dated to potential applicants and students that have now spent a majority of their life using technology ahead of entering college. 

Nevertheless, the potential for AI teacher assistants to revolutionize education at HBCUs remains immense. These technologies can increase efficiency in administrative tasks and provide students with a modern, tech-savvy education that prepares them for the future workforce.

To bridge the gap, it is crucial for policymakers, tech companies, and educational institutions to collaborate and invest in the digital infrastructure of HBCUs. By doing so, they can ensure that all students, regardless of their background, have equal access to the transformative power of AI in education.

Keeping it gee, while challenges remain, the normalization of AI teacher assistants at HBCUs like Morehouse College could pave the way for a more equitable and technologically advanced educational landscape. The future of HBCUs lies in their ability to adapt and innovate, ensuring they continue to be beacons of excellence and opportunity for generations to come.

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett