The Gee Code: Will BIPOC Gen Z Obtain Equitable Access to Degrees in AI?

05.14.24

Advanced degrees in artificial intelligence have hit the Ivy Leagues. 

Last week, The University of Pennsylvania announced it will be the first Ivy League where students can obtain a master’s degree in AI. This move offers yet another affirming verdict on AI’s place in the world.

The introduction of AI degrees at institutions nationwide has been long coming. According to CNBC, Purdue University, Georgia Tech and Rutgers University are just a few of the top institutions where students can gain degrees in AI.

AI programs have adjacency to computer science degrees, a wildly popular STEM degree. The difference however, lies in if the student is interested in the applications of AI in technology, or building the technology itself. 

It is estimated by Goldman Sachs that AI can replace the equivalent 300 million jobs by 2030. With the increased interest in job opportunities and job security – AI degrees have never been more popular. 

Over the last decade, STEM degrees overall have increased in popularity by nearly 50%.  Despite the increase, Latinos represent 14% of STEM workers and similarly Black Americans represent only 9% workers in the field.

Communities of color have long been ostracized from major tech innovation waves that have resulted in generational wealth for their white counterparts.

In the digital gold rush that is AI, I cannot help but wonder if the gap will continue to widen. 

With the recent overturning of affirmative action, that and the digital divide of access to AI curriculum at minority serving institutions like HBCUs – my fear is that BIPOC AI-enthusiast Gen Z will continue to have a hard time getting the equal opportunity to study the tech they love in a culturally safe space. 

STEM interest has been on a consistent rise within communities of color for the last decade and it will likely continue as tech becomes more embedded into our everyday lives. 

With that said, it is wise to consider our ability to create in the technology space, rather than simply consuming it. The more we push for communities of color to have access to AI information, the larger turnover we can see in BIPOC AI-degree holders and innovators.

Keeping it gee, it is crucial for folks from diverse backgrounds to think critically about the impact they can have in technology and the right we have to learn about it. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett