Crunch-Cancellation Innovation: Doritos Moves into Big Tech

11.07.23

Jersey CityIn a surprising and hilarious twist, Doritos has taken its crunchy snack game to a whole new level by entering the world of big tech. 

The company recently debuted Doritos Silent, a crunch-cancellation technology, designed specifically for PC gamers. This move not only highlights Doritos' commitment to innovation but also underscores the unique bond between the brand and the gaming community –  90% of which is Gen Z.

While it may seem like a funny concept at first, 'Doritos Silent' addresses a genuine issue for gamers around the world. According to PepsiCo’s release, a recent study shows that 85 percent of gamers consistently choose Doritos as their snack of choice, but at the same time, many gamers are annoyed by the disruptive crunching sounds of chips entering their headsets while gaming.

In the United Kingdom, 46% of gamers dislike the sound of others eating, and in Portugal and Spain, over 60% rank chips as the worst noise when gaming. In the U.S., 30% claim that crunching sounds distract them from playing well.

Doritos’ noise-canceling technology was developed in partnership with Smooth Technology, an electronic and interactive design company. The development involved the technical analysis of more than 5,000 different crunch sounds over the course of six months.

Designed with gamers in mind, Doritos' playful tease of "making Doritos silent" through social media and advertisements featuring Doritos chips as noise-canceling headphones showcases their understanding of the gaming culture and sense of humor.

In a world where brands are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to connect with consumers, Doritos' move into big tech with 'Doritos Silent' is both funny and revolutionary. It not only aligns with the preferences of their target audience but also highlights the brand's willingness to adapt and cater to the unique needs of their consumers. 

Keeping it gee, as Doritos continues to embrace innovation and elevate the gaming experience, it's safe to say that their crunchy journey into big tech is an epic win for both gamers and snack enthusiasts alike.

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @mimithegee.