The Gee Code: Should Gen Alpha Be Informed About Cybersecurity?

02.20.24

Jersey CityIn a world where 96% of children (ages 10 to 16) are active on at least one social media platform, it is safe to say that the need for cybersecurity knowledge amongst the youth is imperative. 

However, with cybersecurity being such a vast and seemingly complex topic for some adults to handle, the ways to reach Gen Alpha regarding the topic in age-appropriate ways seem obsolete.

In order to combat that gap, Zinet Kemal, a cybersecurity professional and mother, authored “Oh, No … Hacked Again," a book aimed at teaching children and parents about online safety after her own children got hacked during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

In the book, the lead character, Elham, who is 8, is a lover of games but must rely on the safety net of her family to make safe choices. Kemal hopes the book will be helpful for children and parents to protect themselves against online predators.

The book is an emerging tool for the youth that I am absolutely living for.

In an age where children are growing up online through social media or through gaming, it is critical for us as adults in their lives to keep them well-informed.

In the same way that we teach kids about in-person safety as they deal with strangers, or with natural disasters is the same way we should apply lessons to online activity.

Doing so will help create a well-informed generation that avoids the scams and predatory behavior that even adults fall victim to. 

Keeping it gee, children’s books led with diverse perspectives as are becoming a norm in literature that I am here for. The simplicity of children’s books not only help children understand the world, they also help the adults around them better comprehend complex topics, making it a win-win. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett