The Gee Code: Why is Gen Z Bringing Back Myspace?

04.30.24

In a world where social media has become centered around algorithmically curated feeds, over genuine connection, Gen Z is leading the charge in reclaiming what it means to truly finde self-expression and connection online.

While it may seem like there are enough social platforms to go around for decades, Zoomers are craving more. As an answer to this call, Tiffany Zhong, a Gen Z VC investor who has been in the startup space since the age of 19, has been working on the creation of Nospace, the Gen Z version of Myspace.

According to a New York Post report, Zhong understands that social media has lost its authentic social aspect, devolving into a mere showcase of highlight reels rather than a space for genuine engagement. 

Nospace is designed to bring back the essence of early social media—where people posted with less fear of judgment ahead of the days of likes, tacking engagement and becoming social media famous. 

Users can share updates about their lives, connect with others based on shared interests and curate their own social circles. With features like the return of the Myspace Top 8 (where members listed their closest friends) and a chronological global feed, Nospace aims to help people find friends with similar interests and encourage more self-expression.

Another aspect of Myspace that Gen Z is craving is customizable profile pages. In an era of mass content creation and the accessibility to graphic design tools, youth now more than ever has the ability to code and create in ways Millenial’s simply didn’t have access to in the days of Myspace.

Gen Z, having grown up amidst the peak of social media saturation, is saying “enough is enough.” There is a collective sense of tiredness around the forced feeling to have an image of a trending desired aesthetic at all times.

The overwhelming response to Nospace — over 380,000 people on the waitlist — is a testament to Gen Z’s hunger for a more authentic online experience. They’re not content with being passive consumers of content; they want to actively engage with others and express themselves in a way that feels true to who they are.

Keeping it gee, Nospace represents more than just a nostalgic throwback to the early days of social media — it’s a bold statement from Gen Z about the kind of online spaces they want to inhabit. By turning back the digital age clock and embracing a more personalized and authentic approach to social media, Gen Z is reclaiming their online presence and reshaping the future of digital interaction. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.