The Gee Code: Tech Platform Diversifies Gen Z’s Job Goals

10.17.23

When it comes to career aspirations, Gen Z’s take lies on a spectrum of interests. While most may expect the generation to opt into becoming a content creator, influencer or Twitch streamer — in actuality the elders of the generation are leaning toward traditional paths.

Businessperson, doctor, engineer and artist (in that order) accounted for the most popular career interests to recently surveyed Gen Z (ages 18+), according to Axios. 

In aims to continue diversifying and exposing Gen Z to a variety of career opportunities available to them, the American Student Assistance (ASA), a national nonprofit dedicated to changing the way kids learn about careers and navigate a path to career success, announced the expansion of its network of partners for ASA’s EvolveMe digital platform. 

On the EvolveMe platform, Gen Z can participate in career experimentation activities including virtual work-based learning opportunities, mock job interviews and mentorships. The platform intends to teach and develop transferable skills that Gen Z can apply to any job.

To date, it has engaged over 600,000 users and the free mobile resource features more than 80 career experimentation and skills-building tasks with a completion rate of over 70%.

EvolveMe’s recently announced network expansion brings on 30 companies to offer resources to Gen Z. Companies that have joined on include Atlas Primer, which has a personalized AI-powered tutoring solution and lessons that support neurodivergent learners and Audo, an AI-powered career development platform, that aligns adaptive learning with the experiential reality of working.

The introduction of this network of companies increases Gen Z’s access to AI-fueled job opportunities and more practical learning of tech applications overall, which I am totally in favor of. 

I am immensely impressed by ASA’s diversity in its range of partner companies. The nonprofit seems to be authentically tapped in with the mainstream Gen Z interests like streaming video games and media production. They do so while also introducing personal branding and business leadership courses.

Keeping it gee, EvolveMe is the type of platform that should be a standard in every U.S household (if not in the world). It assesses the practical need of career readiness and can be of extreme help to those who come from underserved backgrounds. Every Gen Z does not have access to mentors, or a deep understanding of career routes and what is possible in the world. Platforms like EvolveMe help democratize that access. I’m excited to see it grow. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett