The Gee Code: TikTok Tests Music Streaming App in Global Markets

08.22.23

Jersey CityTikTok might just be building the world’s next big music streaming platform.

The viral video-based social network platform launched TikTok Music, a beta app extension that allows users to stream the full version of their favorite songs. 

The beta launched last month in Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Singapore and Australia. New users get three months of free usage and then pay a monthly subscription fee of $8.99.

The platform offers access to music similar to that of Apple Music, Spotify, etc. Its differentiating factor however is that users can stream the full-length version of their favorite TikTok mixes as well.

This in return allows viral DJ mixes, challenge songs, and trending sounds to be streamed.

Considering TikTok’s impact on popular culture, it’s no surprise to me that its users are craving to stream our favorite “short form” sound bites for longer periods of time.

Gen Z rapper Latto recently performed her “Thank You To My Man” viral TikTok sound at her Rolling Loud set, ultimately proving TikTok Music’s use case in real time. 

While I’m not sure if users will opt into paying for longer-form versions of their favorite TikTok songs, I do believe TikTok is onto something here.

The platform has consistently proven its ability to give its audience what it wants. In 2022, TikTok grew from prioritizing short form video to embracing long form video editions. Its impact in the market has served as inspiration for the launch of Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts.

Keeping it gee, If there is one platform I bet on to win the hearts of Gen Z, it's TikTok. I am eager to see the results from its beta launch and how the platform will perform in the U.S. market. 

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett