Northwestern Students Secure $500k For Health Tech Startup

JupiterDx announced it pulled in $500,000 in its pre-seed round from Chicago-based venture capital firm Drive Capital.

01.10.23
Northwestern Students Secure $500k For Health Tech Startup ((Left to right) Alex Bahram and Mason Secky-Koebel, co-founders of JupiterDx)

Jersey CityTwo Northwestern students are on a mission to make the lives of people with chronic-illnesses and long COVID easier with their health data aggregation startup, JupiterDx.

The company was co-founded by Alex Bahram, a senior economic major at Northwestern and Mason Secky-Koebel, a recent Northwestern computer science graduate.

On Tuesday, JupiterDx announced it pulled in $500,000 in its pre-seed round from Chicago-based venture capital firm Drive Capital. 

This is the first investment led by Landon Campbell, a Gen Z General Partner at Drive Capital. 

“[Bahram and Secky-Koebel]’s unique backgrounds and experiences have enabled them to tackle a significant problem in the healthcare industry: data ownership,” Landon told YR Media. “I am thrilled to have made my first Chicago-based investment in Jupiter through Drive and am looking forward to supporting the team in their growth.”

According to the company, JupiterDx aims to make it easier for patients to view and share all of their health data. By using the platform, patients can easily view and share their data with loved ones, care providers and researchers.

The platform can take in data from medical records, wearable technology (such as an Apple Watch or a Fitbit) and from patients' self-inputting data about their diets and genetics.

“We wanted to be able to provide a platform for patients to be able to see the effects of any new interventions that they are introducing into their lifestyle specifically with chronic illness and especially with the classification of multisystem diseases like long-covid,” said Bahram. 

This ability for a patient to self-collect their healthcare data is a huge focus of JupiterDx’s offerings. According to Bahram, this feature is especially important to chronic-illness patients who often have to travel to multiple physicians for treatment and rely on bringing binders of their healthcare paperwork with them.

JupiterDx plans to launch its beta mode in early 2023 along with bringing on a few new key hires.