Putting My XBox Days Behind Me

12.01.20
Putting My XBox Days Behind Me (Photo: fizkes/Getty Images)

A lot of my friends rushed to buy the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X, and while my inner child was extremely excited, I’ve come to terms that it’s time for me to move on from video games.

There has been so much hype around the PS5 and Xbox Series X that it’s almost impossible to ignore. There are so many new features, like crisp 8k graphics and super-fast loading times, it’s by far the best I’ve seen. Not going to lie, I wanted to get my hands on one as soon as they dropped.

However, as the years have gone by, I’ve noticed my excitement for video games has started to wane. Before the pandemic, I used to play every day, but now it’s rare for me to play more than once a week. Sometimes when I take a break from work and stare around my desk, I catch a glimpse of my Xbox One X gathering dust in its little corner. As I stare at it, I can almost hear all the laughs that I shared with it radiating from its vents. 

When my friend John asked me if I was getting the new Xbox, my answer was simply “No.” That was when it really hit me; I’m growing up.

In my culture, coming of age is often marked by moving out of your parents’ home, or getting your first job. In this age of technology, my coming of age is marked by leaving behind those early weekend mornings playing “Call of Duty” and “Fortnite.” Now, my days are spent getting ready for working and homework.

My priorities have shifted towards my school, work, family and love life. But, I think that’s a good thing. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to understand that if I want to reach my goals, then I have to focus on what is going to allow me to grow. Unfortunately, video games are not a part of that plan.

Although I’m putting my Xbox days behind me, I will always cherish those moments of pure enjoyment I had playing video games.