Social Media 101: Lessons I’ve Learned the Hard Way

04.30.24
Social Media 101: Lessons I’ve Learned the Hard Way (Getty Images)

It’s so easy to get discouraged on social media nowadays.  As technology becomes more widespread, it’s important to be sure you’re using social media in a productive way and causing no mental harm.  

*“Comparison is the Thief of Joy”

This is a phrase my parents implanted in me and my siblings growing up.   One of the hardest lessons I’ve learned, not just surrounding social media but in life, is that you will never be happy comparing what you have to someone else.  

*Understand What Social Media Is

This tip and the last go hand in hand.  It’s important to understand that social media is meant to broadcast the “best” version of somebody.  Sites like Instagram are designed to share your best moments, achievements and pictures.  

*Branding

As we grow older and start to apply for internships, organizations, jobs and more opportunities, our online image becomes more important.  The way you represent yourself online is a reflection of how others will perceive you. 

*Everyone Is Not Your Friend

It’s easy to be manipulated and tricked on the internet in these times, so be sure you have the proper privacy measures in place to filter out anything unwanted and be cautious with giving out your personal information.