Content in partnership with KCBS

TikTok is Ruining my Favorite Apps

04.25.23
TikTok is Ruining my Favorite Apps (Matt Cardy via Getty Images)

People have short attention spans. So the easy-to-digest style of content creation on TikTok has become incredibly popular. This formula is so good, suddenly, all my favorite apps want in on it.

I’m Noumaan Faiz with a commentary from YR Media.

Instagram, YouTube and others have incorporated this style of short-form video feeds curated to every user. With so many platforms adopting similar feeds, it’s hard to use other apps without feeling like I’m using another version of TikTok.

I often look at Instagram and mourn the way it used to look and feel. Sharing pictures with your friends and followers on a feed that refreshed as more posts went up… Now I find the feed riddled with “reels.”

TikTok may have caught the attention of politicians, but I don’t necessarily have beef with the app like that. I’m sad because I go to specific social platforms for different reasons. I enjoy long-form video essays on YouTube, not “shorts.” It’s not even just video platforms, even Spotify is implementing the new feed style.

I don’t need these apps to be TikTok. But now, it feels like a lot of my favorite apps are losing their soul — becoming a shell of what they used to be.