TikTok Adds Privacy Updates for All Teens

08.24.21

DeKalb, ILTikTok has announced that the app will implement stricter privacy controls for teenagers, including options to choose who can view videos and limits on when younger users get notifications. 

The new privacy controls, aimed at users ages 13 to 17, come as a number of incidents have prompted concerns about its privacy and safety policies. 

"These changes continue to build on our ongoing commitments as there's no finish line when it comes to protecting the safety, privacy, and well-being of our community," Alexandra Evans, TikTok's head of child safety public policy, and Aruna Sharma, global head of privacy, said in a joint statement.

The stricter controls include default settings for direct messages, so no one can send private messages unless sharing options are updated. TikTok also said it will reduce the time period of sending push notifications to those under 18.

The updates also include the choice to turn on a feature that lets a pop-up appear that allows them to choose who can download their public videos. Downloads are permanently disabled on content from accounts under the age of 16.