Bay Area Teens Talk Deportation
In the last several days President Donald Trump has made many changes to immigration policy. A lot of things has changed. Many people are afraid to leave their house because they are afraid of getting deported. Some people can’t go to the doctors without worrying about getting deported. Also, some people are afraid of speaking up.
For example, The New York Times reported last Wednesday that a young woman was detained after speaking up about her fears of being deported. Authorities said it was because she overstayed her visa. Some believe the detainment was because the government retaliated against her negative comments which would be against the constitutional right to freedom of speech.
I think people should be able to leave their house, go to doctor appointments, and speak their mind without being detained or deported.
- How do you feel about deportation?
- Can you give me an instance where you were affected by deportation?
- How would you feel if you were detained for speaking your opinion about America?
- How do you feel about the potential situation of parents getting taking away from their kids by deportation?
- How does this affect our community in the Bay Area?