Commentary: Music Moves Me

09.06.13
Commentary: Music Moves Me
Death Cab for Cutie

By: Isaiah

I’ve always listened to rap music, ever since I was little. I was born into it, having a dad who was a rapper and being surrounded by it all the time made it grow on me. Although I was more encouraged by my mom in her music choices because she was always more into the lyrics and the rhythm, not just drawn in by a guy talking about how many guns he has. Over time I started to develop my own taste in music. I started listening to lots of Eminem, 50 Cent and that kind of mainstream but still dope music of the time period.

Yet when I started to get older, my taste in music started to change. I still listened to rap; I just started to listen to different kinds. I started to steer my mind away from gangster rap and started getting into the lyrics. Along the way, when I was in about 5th grade, my older sister showed me a group called Atmosphere. Atmosphere’s music was unique and it still is, I think what drew my attention toward them was that in their songs, they talk about real stuff while still finding the perfect balance between “the best” and being real people.

I’ve tried to listen to as much Atmosphere as I can and get all the albums but its more difficult than it sounds. So I picked my favorite ones and continuously listened to them for days. After a while I got tired of hearing the same songs over and over again, so for a while I stopped listening to them. Yet over the summer there was a concert with Atmosphere and one of my favorite reggae bands. I had to see it. I bought my ticket and went to the show. After pushing my way all the way up front, I was in. As close to face to face I could get.

Now, I had always loved Atmosphere, since the first time I ever heard one of their songs. But no ear buds compare to seeing a group live. There was no lip-syncing, it didn’t sound like crap, nobody had to catch their breath and the speakers weren’t too quiet, it was perfect. I left the show wanting more. Honestly, I didn’t want to ever leave. Because the fans at these kinds of shows aren’t the mosh pit or fighting type, everyone is there to have a good time and listen to the good tunes.

Overall, I’d have to say Atmosphere is my favorite rap group around right now but I wish I could have known about them sooner, not just because they aren’t very well known, but because I feel like they are actually making the music for a reason, not just for the money. Ive learned over the years that the true point of good music, is music that makes you happy and for the most part, music that shows passion over the money and displays a true meaning.