The First Day of Summer School

08.15.14
The First Day of Summer School
By Kensha 14749305043_8618cbbb45_o I knew I didn’t do as well as I should have during the school year so I had to make up my grades. However my high school wasn’t offering an academic recovery over the summer. I didn’t know what to do and it seemed like I was just going to have to deal with my grades until my mom found out Oakland High was offering a summer school. I told her to enroll me but I had a feeling it wasn’t a good idea from the start. Oakland High is known to be “ratchet” and I don’t like to surround myself with people like that. But I put the bad thoughts to the back of my head because I knew I had to get my grades together. I was really determined and I wouldn’t let anything change my mind. I went to Oakland High at 8’oclock in the morning to receive my class schedule. I was all alone until the bell rang that let us know it was time to go to class. I walked to my class and took a seat. I started to look around and noticed I didn’t have any friends in the class. I didn’t mind being alone because I thought I would make new friends with my classmates. I was having an okay day at summer school and I thought the rest of my day would continue to go well. It seemed it just wasn’t my destiny to have a good first day of summer school though. My classes were over and it was time to leave. I walked towards the exit of the school and I noticed one of my old friends. I stopped to say hello then I continued to walk towards the bus stop. My best friend then called me and he wanted to meet up so we could make plans. The next thing I know someone was pulling my hair. At first I thought someone was trying to flirt with me by pulling my hair until I ended up on the ground. Even though I’m not a fighter I tried to get up and fight back because who isn’t taught to hit whoever hits you? The next thing I know someone else is pushing me and I seen them take my phone. They continue to hit me and then run away. They caught me so off guard and I didn’t know what to do. I had no idea of who would even want to do something like that to me because I feel like I’m a really nice person. I was so in shock that I didn’t realize I just got jumped for my phone. This experience just taught me to always watch my back. I no longer consider everyone my friend because you never know when someone is plotting on you. I didn’t let this incident ruin me though I’m still nice just more cautious. After all of this I didn’t even finish summer school. I was disappointed in myself to not complete something I started and recover from my 10th grade ways. This just made me promise myself that I will put in a lot of work my junior year. All of my childish ways will need to go out the window and I will get down to business. School will definitely be my main focus and priority because graduating high school and going off to college is the most important thing to me. I want to be successful and make my family proud.