‘Cobra Kai’: Season 6 Part 1: A Badass Beginning to the End

07.28.24
‘Cobra Kai’: Season 6 Part 1: A Badass Beginning to the End ((L to R) William Zabka as Johnny Lawrence, Sean Kanan as Mike Barnes, Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso. | Curtis Bonds Baker/Netflix © 2024)

The end is coming by way of a crane kick to the face. After taking down Terry Silver and seemingly defeating Cobra Kai, the karate prodigies of Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) and Daniel Larusso (Ralph Macchio) have set aside their differences in order to get their team to the mythical tournament known as the Sekai Taikai. This is “Cobra Kai VI.”

For the first five episodes, with the Sekai Taikai looming, Daniel and Johnny must unite their dojo under one name, fix the issues plaguing the teens, and bring forth a badass collaboration to show the world that Miyagi-Do Karate is the best in the world. But with a secret looming that could change the perception of Miyagi-san, hard choices and truths emerge.

In the Season 5 review, this show knows what it is. It is not trying to be prestige TV like “Succession” or anything else, it is a big cheesy slice of karate pizza served hot and ready for the masses. With top notch action and choreography, this season deals with the themes of balance, the bonds of sisterhood and brotherhood, and heart. A stand out actor in this show is Peyton List as Tory, who has blossomed as a powerhouse actor in this show with her constant heel-face turns, as well as the character of Robby, played by Tanner Buchanan, who shows amazing fight choreography and heart. 

This season is both longer and shorter as we have 15 episodes, but will be divided over three five-episode chunks throughout with Part 2 coming Nov. 15, and Part 3 coming next year. While the wait is long, from what we have so far, it is worth it.

5 black belts out of 5.

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas-based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and X: @Dimpy_Tenders.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzine.