Gayun Cannon: Chicago Artist on the Rise

04.14.21
Gayun Cannon: Chicago Artist on the Rise (Photo: Gayun Cannon via Instagram)

ChicagoLooking for new music to stream? Add Chicago native Gayun Cannon’s songs to your playlist.

Cannon, 18, has two songs out and more to come. Her latest release is titled “Serenity” and you’ll feel exactly that when you listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUaZfKzGE1M

“This song is a love song about someone my friend Serenity introduced me to. I named the song after my friend because I have a lot of love for her as well. The song more so talks more about loving someone, but keeping in mind that you can’t be attached. You can become dependent in love, some people become codependent. This song is the balance between that.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMQhCbtB7A4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The multi-instrumentalist began playing music at a very young age and has continued to learn more. “I’ve been playing piano since I was 4. My dad’s a musician so I’ve seen him perform. I’ve been on and off with music throughout the years. I think I finally realized that I wanted to be a musician during my junior year of high school after I joined a Blues combo.”

When it comes to influences Cannon has her top three.

“Lana Del Rey, Amy Winehouse, and Solange are my main influences,” she said. “Especially Solange when it comes to my style as a Black woman. Amy when it comes to jazz and Lana when it comes to singing style.”

While those are her musical influences, Chicago has definitely had an impact on Cannon’s developing sound. She noted that Chicago’s nature and sound along with her peers have really inspired her. “I feel like the biggest influences we have are our peers. I used to go to a lot of open-mics and performances with my dad. Also, Chicago natives are a different breed. We hit different; the people, the vibe, et cetera.”

Read more ...

This guest post is in partnership with the True Star Media.