10 Songs to Welcome Winter

12.25.21
10 Songs to Welcome Winter (Photo: GIRLI by Lorne Thomson/Redferns via Getty Images)

ChicagoThe holiday season is underway and the months that follow often seem dull, dreary and downright depressing. To keep the chills (and the cabin fever) at bay, here is the playlist to get you through even the frostiest nights of winter. 

“Superposition” by Young the Giant 

California alt-rockers Young the Giant have been on the road since 2004, but became a staple with listeners and fans in 2018 with this vibrant, starstruck anthem for finding your way through chaos. As we enter into another unpredictable year, this should be the first thing at the top of your playlist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJhrwyn0M4

“Has Been” by GIRLI

Beat the ice and chills of the season with this hard-hitting, beat-smashing, eardrum-ringing single from GIRLI. Use it for an audio form of an energy booster or if your new year’s resolution is to get in shape or simply move more, this doubles as the perfect jump starter for your workout playlist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4bnUC2Ilv8

“Dreamland” by Glass Animals 

If you are someone who enjoys the snow and cold, “Dreamland” is the perfect song to have on while you gaze out the window, admiring the winter wonderland from afar with a cup of cocoa. Dreamy and daze-inducing, this eponymous album also made Glass Animals first-time Grammy nominees this year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE7vBk_zLA4

“Hello My Love” by Westlife

A new year often means new changes-and new faces. Even if you don’t have anyone on your current radar, bring on the good feelings and the possibility of positive faces with the sweet, cheerful encouragement of the Irish boy band Westlife. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753Gl2VlPF8

“Where the Wind Blows” by Coco O. 

Winter often leaves us feeling lethargic and longing for some energy to do even the smallest tasks. Perk up in seconds with just the first few seconds of ‘Wind’ and you’ll wonder how you ever sat down to begin with. Danish diva Coco O. was also personally selected by Jay-Z to create this buzzy banger for 2013’s The Great Gatsby.

“Boe Money” by Galactic and the Rebirth Brass Band 

It can be hard to part with the songs of the Christmas season, especially when the holidays wrap up early into winter. Maintain the lingering cheerful, upbeat spirit with this jazzy track that doesn’t stop-not even for a second-from beginning to end.

“Looks Like A Cold, Cold Winter” by Ingrid Michaelson 

Even though it’s a modern take on a classic, Ingrid still maintains the vintage tone to properly capture the longing of love during a time of snow and ice. It’s the perfect way to welcome winter while (slowly) phasing out of the Christmas season. 

“Auld Lang Syne” by Sufjan Stevens

Oscar nominee and indie favorite Sufjan Stevens produces a cover that can best be described as joyful, heartfelt, and a reminder to keep our loved ones near during an often-lonesome time of year. The array of instruments and voices throughout the song wrap you in to make you feel like you are right there with them.

“Pipes Of Peace” by MUNA

Electro-pop trio MUNA calls for peace in this melodic, gentle ballad off the seasonal collection Holidays Rule: Volume 2. Even if you are feeling far away from others, this is the right thing to listen to as a reminder that you are always on someone’s mind and in their heart. 

“Water Under the Bridge” by Adele 

While Adele had a stellar 2021 with a new album, a new look, and new milestones, some of her past hits continue to hold true long after they’ve been released. With ‘Water,’ it’s the right song to kick off the new year by reminding you to let go, live your life, and let the new changes come forward.