10 Songs For Your Fourth of July (or Any Cookout) Playlist

07.03.21
10 Songs For Your Fourth of July (or Any Cookout) Playlist (Photo: Getty Images)

We put together a checklist for your Summer BBQ playlist you need on the cookout soundtrack this year (and every year).

DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince - Summertime

30 years ago, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince dropped the dry season signifier, “Summertime”, and prophesied its use as a cookout anthem in their family BBQ themed music video. When the sun comes out, so does “Summa, summa, summa time.” 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

2Pac feat. Digital Underground - I Get Around

One of 2Pac’s earlier hits with Oakland based hip-hop group, Digital Underground, details the “friskiness” that seems to overcome young people when the weather gets warmer. It’s an ‘oldie but goodie’ for any pool or beach party.

Drake - Toosie Slide

“Toosie Slide” is a newbie for the cookout playlist, a step-dance song to get everyone up as “Cupid Shuffle” by Cupid, “Cha Cha Slide” by DJ Casper, and “Wobble” by V.I.C. have for years. 

Junior M.A.F.I.A. - Get Money

Formed by The Notorious B.I.G., Junior M.A.F.I.A (Masters At Finding Intelligent Attitudes) released their debut and final album as a full group in 1995. Conspiracy housed, “Players Anthem” and “Get Money,” which peaked at US #17. “Get Money” is an internationally recognized showcase of Brooklyn rap and a timeless tune for the late night celebrations.

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Everybody Loves The Sunshine

With it’s psychedelic instrumentals and soothing choir vocals, this song makes anyone who hears it present and appreciative of the moment. “Feel what I feel when I feel what I feel when I’m feelin’,” they chant, creating a carefree ambience for a more laid back get together. Roy Ayers is nostalgic for those who grew up listening to him, and a breath of fresh air for those new to his 70s experimentalism. 

Megan Thee Stallion - Body

Even with de facto Covid restrictions compromising “hot girl summer,” Megan’s mantra is holding true for fans, socially distanced or not, after her hit, “Body” took over TikTok some months ago. She is known for her frank and carefree attitude, great virtues for us all to channel on the dancefloor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBYGu4Az8s

Pharrell feat. Jay-Z - Frontin’

A 2000s classic, “Frontin’” calls everyone out on the bragging, exaggerating, and overachieving that happens when trying to impress someone at a party. It’s innocent fun, classic Pharrell, and a perfect party hit for Y2K fans.

Beyoncé - Before I Let Go

Originally a Franky Beverly and Maze song from 1989, but redone by Beyoncé for her Homecoming project, “Before I Let Go” became an instant hit for the second time in 2019. With some lyrics changed and added production, Beyoncé’s remix of the ageless tune quickly had its own dance to match, and people all over the world were taking part in the “Before I Let Go Challenge” on various social media platforms. It was quickly dubbed a ‘cookout classic,’ like its predecessor.

UGK feat. Outkast - Int’l Players Anthem (I Choose You)

A perfect display of UGK’s hip-hop sampling and Outkast’s lyricism, in 2007, the pair of duos created a song that isn’t hard to know all of the words to. It tells a story that will bring all members of your family or friend group together. It just never gets old.

Mase - Feel So Good

Headlining the early stages of hip-hop going mainstream was Mase of Bad Boy Records. “Feel So Good” was an instant international hit that blended rap bars and r&b vocals to get the most stubborn of wallflowers on their feet. Now, it’s a family hit for the parents to cut a rug to while the kids laugh at the “oldheads.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIvEiTrq9kk