5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

01.27.20

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

HAYLEY WILLIAMS OF PARAMORE FIRST SOLO SONG OUT NOW!!

Hayley Williams of the band Paramore is keeping her promise to fans to drop some new music. She recently announced the release of her debut solo album "Petals of Armor" and dropped an awesome video for the single off the project called “Simmer.”

TUPAC FANS ENRAGED OVER STATUE OF LATE RAPPER

An old statue of late rapper Tupac Shakur recently caught the internet’s attention through an inaccurately captioned tweet. The Twitter post included a caption with an image of the statue stating it was newly constructed, however, it has been up for years. The statue looks nothing like the rapper, which caused an uproar among the rapper's fans.

SONY/ATV PUBLISHING LANDS BEYONCE DEAL

A new deal between Beyonce and Sony/ATV includes all of Bey’s masters, even the ones from her time in Destiny’s Child. Jon Platt, who has been working with Beyonce since she started her career, reunites with her in his new role as CEO of SONY/ATV.

TAYLOR SWIFT X NETFLIX REVEAL

Netflix recently revealed a trailer for an upcoming documentary starring Taylor Swift called "Miss Americana." The documentary is directed by Emmy award-winner Lana Wilson and profiles Taylor’s life as a celebrity and her efforts to use her platform to speak out.

PREDICTIONS OF WHAT MUSIC IN 2020 WILL SOUND LIKE

Hip-hop has dominated the last decade of the music industry. But what will come in 2020? We will see new albums from legends like J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Drake and many more. Tastemakers are saying melodic rap is most likely to stay relevant in the game. They say we will also see new genres. For example, Brooklyn drill — a genre stemming from Grime from the U.K. that some say will put New York back on top.