5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

12.09.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

JAY-Z’s BIRTHDAY GIFT TO THE WORLD - A BIOGRAPHY ABOUT HIS LYRICISM

Time to celebrate Jay-Z! With the rapper just celebrating his 50th birthday, it was just announced that a biographical book written about his life will be coming out. Michael Eric Dyson has been teaching a class on Jay-Z at Georgetown University for the past 10 years. He believes Jay-Z’s lyrics are an important commentary on American culture at large. Dyson is compiling his teachings into a biographical book on the rapper called "JAY-Z: Made in America."

NONAME WANTS OUT OF THE INDUSTRY

Noname has recently expressed frustration about playing for predominantly white audiences via Twitter. She stated that her “heart wasn’t in it anymore” and that after her next two shows and the release of her upcoming project "Factory Baby," she’s done-zo.

QUESTLOVE TO DIRECT THE FIRST DOCUMENTARY ON HARLEM CULTURAL FESTIVAL

Questlove is set to direct a documentary based on the historic Harlem Cultural Festival. The festival took place in 1969 in Harlem, around the same time Woodstock happened, but never received any media coverage. The film will be Questlove’s first time directing a documentary.

COLDPLAY STICKS UP FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

In a BBC interview, Coldplay’s Chris Martin said the band will not tour the upcoming album "Everyday Life" due to environmental concerns. They will be taking a few years off to make their band tours carbon neutral and try to actively be engaged in this global issue.

'WHO IS JILL SCOTT?' TOUR COMING 2020

"Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol 1." turns 20 years old next year. To celebrate, Scott announced she will be touring North America. She plans on touring February and March of 2020.