5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

03.09.20

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

THEE STALLION VS. 1501

Megan Thee Stallion was granted a temporary restraining order against her label, 1501, so that she could drop her new music. The Houston rapper recently went on Instagram live to explain the matter. Apparently, 1501 won’t let her distribute her new album and isn't paying Stallion her share in royalties. Meg fought for her rights to get around the label’s restraints and give her fans what they want and we all are excited to get some new music!

NEW LADY GAGA COMING SOON

At last, we have finally gotten confirmation of a new Lady Gaga album. Along with the release of her latest single, “Stupid Love,” which dropped on March 2, she announced via Instagram that she will be releasing her sixth album, "CHROMATICA," on April 10th.

INDEPENDENT ARTISTS + AMUSE

In 2019, independent artists claimed 3.9% of the world’s global share of the music market. This means DIY artists (artists not signed to any label deals) made $821 million last year. This is largely due to companies like Amuse. Amuse is one of the leading DIY music distribution services that lets independent artists release music from their phones, track where they’re being played and withdraw royalties. 

GERMANY NAMED AS THIRD BIGGEST MUSIC MARKET

According to Germany’s Entertainment Retailers Association, consumers in Germany spent $1.41bn on recorded music. Germany’s music retail numbers grew about nine percent in 2019, which means they earned just enough to rank third in the world’s largest music markets. This puts them ahead of the U.K., and right behind Japan (which is second) and the United States.

ENRIQUE IGLESIAS + RICKY MARTIN

For nearly 30 years, Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias have helped Latin music grow to the global phenomenon it is today. For the first time, the two artists, along with Sebastian Yatra, will go on tour together. The tour will start September 5 and run through October 30th.