5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

04.20.20

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

NO LIVE CONCERTS UNTIL FALL 2021?

Since there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight to the coronavirus pandemic, it’s hard to imagine how and when things will return to normal. One thing has been made quite clear, though — you won’t be going to see a live concert any time soon. The New York Times reported health officials believe it will be 16 months before all large social gatherings, especially concerts and shows, can happen. This is very very bad news for the live entertainment industry. Will they survive this? We hope so!

'ALL IN CHALLENGE' CALLS ON CELEBS TO HELP RAISE MONEY FOR COVID-19

There is a new celebrity challenge popping off to raise money for COVID-19 relief. The challenge calls on celebrities from all areas of entertainment —sports, music, acting, etc., to auction off a once-in-a-lifetime experiences, with all auction proceeds going to coronavirus relief funds. So far Justin Beiber, Kevin Hart, Magic Johnson and Meek Mill have joined in and many more are following suit.

MUSIC STREAMING NUMBERS THRIVING IN CORONA TIMES

Well, what else is there to do while quarantined other than watch all the movies in existence and listen to all your new and old favorite albums? Though physical record sales are at an all-time low, streaming is growing at a steady pace. Paid subscription plan purchases are growing — we’ve seen a 20% increase in people who purchased Apple Music or Spotify accounts this past year. While other areas in the music industry seem to be struggling, at least streaming is not.

'TOOSIE SLIDE' DEBUTS AT #1 ON BILLBOARD

Drake is number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and he broke a few records in taking that spot. He is now the first male artist, and the second overall artist ever to have released three tracks that debuted at the top of the Hot 100 chart. Now everyone go make a TikTok and tune into “Toosie Slide” by Drake to be a part of history.

POP SMOKE DOCUMENTARY IN THE WORKS

It's been a minute since beloved rapper Pop Smoke was murdered, and in his honor 50 Cent and Smoke’s manager Steven Victor are working on a documentary about his life. We look forward to the opportunity to watch it and honor his legacy. Stay tuned for more information.