5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

By Edel
05.20.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the landscape of the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

Kodak Black Faces 10 Years in Prison

Kodak Black was recently released on $550,000 bail and put on house arrest. The Florida rapper faces up to 10 years for lying to the police. He could also receive a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release.

Woodstock 50 Is Back On

Even though there was talk of Woodstock 50 being canceled when a major investor pulled out, a New York Supreme Court judge ruled that the investors did not have the right to cancel the festival simply because they were pulling their investment. Therefore, the festival will take place between August 16-18.

Adidas x Kid Cudi

Adidas just announced they’re welcoming Kid Cudi to the family. This partnership will include a collaborative collection featuring footwear and apparel pieces.

Pledge Music Is Nearing Bankruptcy

Pledge Music is on the brink of bankruptcy unless someone steps in to buy it. Pledge Music is a music platform that helps facilitate fan and artist interactions. It's also used to distribute music, share music videos and promote concerts.  

Rolling Stone’s Music Charts Delayed

Rolling Stone’s highly anticipated music charts are said to be delayed due to unsecured data agreements. The launch was set for May 18th with the hype that it could surpass Billboard as the preeminent music charting service.