5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

By Edel
07.30.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

DEF JAM X PUMA COLLABORATION COMING SOON

To celebrate Def Jam’s 35th anniversary, the recording label and Puma are debuting their collaborative collection featuring a new silhouette called the Clyde Courts. They are set to release on Puma.com on August 28th. If you were lucky to peep it early — they pre-released on Sunday, July 21st at ComplexCon.

DISNEY SCORES A SPOTIFY HUB

Spotify has recently launched its new hub for Disney Music Group. The hub features music from all your favorite Disney movies, TV shows and theme parks. These catalogs will be updated regularly for future films and shows.

KID CUDI TAPS NETFLIX AND KENYA BARRIS FOR MOVIE ALIGNED WITH ALBUM

Kid Cudi's upcoming album, "Entergalactic," has been announced and it will be aligned with an upcoming Netflix series executive produced by Kenya Barris. Starring Kid Cudi himself, he will also write, and executive produce the show with Ian Edelman.

MEGAN THEE STALLION FILES TRADEMARK FOR “HOT GIRL SUMMER”

Megan Thee Stallion recently filed a trademark for her viral catchphrase, “Hot Girl Summer.” The popular phrase has taken over summer 2019 due to the rapper’s efforts. The trademark was submitted on July 10th and Megan Thee Stallion hopes to release a “Hot Girl Summer” anthem as well as have an official “Hot Girl Summer” playlist on Spotify. 

NBA 2K PARTNERS WITH UNITEDMASTERS

NBA 2K has partnered with UnitedMasters to help develop an original soundtrack as well as help scout out new talent. Independent artists are able to submit music by downloading the UnitedMasters app for a chance to have their music premiered on NBA 2K20.