5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

By Edel
08.13.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

SONY/ATV GETS THEIR WRITERS PAID FASTER

Sony/ATV has developed a new system to get writers paid faster. They have created a new system in which royalties will be accounted for and paid out at the same time. Soon, artists will have access to their royalties using the Cash Out feature, allowing artists to collect some or all of their royalties at once. 

DRAKE LANDS PANDORA DEAL

With the launch of a new shared radio station between SiriusXM and Pandora, the two companies quickly made a big move to sign a deal with Drake. With this deal, Drake will have his own stations, playlists, collaborations and more.  

RAPPER NF TAKES #1 BILLBOARD SPOT FROM CHANCE THE RAPPER 

Rapper NF knocked Chance the Rapper off of the #1 album spot on Billboard charts. Both artists utilized bundle deals to boost sales, but, as of August 4, 2019, NF was able to come out on top with 130,000 units sold while Chance had 108,000 units sold.  

MARSHMELLO INKS DEAL WITH WME

Monster producer Marshmello signs a deal with WME talent agency for representation. Marshmello is one of the top-ten artists in the world — racking up more than 10 billion streams and 45 million monthly listeners on Spotify. 

BABY SHARK CEREAL 

The people behind the hit children's song Baby Shark will be releasing their own brand of cereal. With over three billion views on YouTube, the product will reportedly be available in Sam's Club locations on August 17th as well as Walmart in late September.