‘All’ About Simone and Damon

"All American: Homecoming," a spin-off series of the CW's “All American,” highlights the journey of athletes at an HBCU.

02.21.22
‘All’ About Simone and Damon (Aaron Rapoport/Corbis via Getty Images)

Alabama; TroyThe CW’s “All American: Homecoming” provides an inside look at life as an athlete at a Historically Black College and University (HBCU).

The show, which debuted Monday, is a spin-off series of “All American.” 

Geffri Maya and Peyton Alex Smith star as freshman tennis and baseball players Simone and Damon who carry the weight of their past on their shoulders while trying to figure out college life at Bringston University in Atlanta and step into adulthood. 

Simone, who starred in the California-based “All American,” is following her lifelong dream of being a professional tennis player. Damon, from Chicago, renounces his chance to play in the major league in order to play college ball. Both form a close friendship.

Actor Peyton 'Alex' Smith (Scott Legato via Getty Images)

If you’re a student at an HBCU, you will appreciate the scenes of humility and dedication that college students go through. 

“I’ve really been trying to find the words to say…All I can think about is the opportunity to encourage & celebrate black excellence. Going to an HBCU is one thing— creating a show honoring the legacy of halls built for us, by us by those with purpose & dreams BIGGER than their own...I have endless gratitude for this moment. Nothing but God. Nothing but divine timing. Nothing but promise. I couldn’t be more honored to share this moment with my #allamericanhomecoming family,” Maya posted on Instagram.

You would think a fresh start and new environment will be perfect for them, but unfortunately, obstacles are still in their way. With support from their friends and campus leaders, they learn to adjust to college life. The duo aren’t the only ones with secrets, and they begin to question the trust of those they surround themselves with.

‘Homecoming’ also stars Kelly Jenrette, Cory Hardrict, Sylvester Powell, Netta Walker and Camille Hyde.