Amanda Gorman Creates Poetry Award for Students

08.25.21
Amanda Gorman Creates Poetry Award for Students (Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILPoet Amanda Gorman is giving back with a new creative writing award for high school students who submit an original poem with the chance of winning $10,000.

The Amanda Gorman Award for Poetry is in partnership with Penguin Random House, which will also release Gorman’s forthcoming children’s book and poetry collection.

“As someone who found my love of writing at a young age, I want to continue to foster that same love in the next generation of great poets,” Gorman said in a statement.

Public high school seniors in the U.S. who plan to attend a two- or four-year college are eligible for the Gorman Award. The application period runs from Oct. 1 to Feb. 1, 2022. 

Gorman is the youngest inaugural poet in U.S. history at President Joe Biden’s inauguration. The 23-year-old, who graduated from Harvard in 2020, is set to publish a children’s book and another poetry collection called “Change Sings” on Sept. 21 and “Call Us What We Carry” on Dec. 7.