Artists Respond to the Death of George Floyd

05.29.20
Artists Respond to the Death of George Floyd (Jamela J. Pettiford sings during a protest in response to the police killing of George Floyd outside the Hennepin County Government Center on May 29, 2020 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images))

Many artists and celebrities have begun to speak out about the murder of an innocent unarmed black man, George Floyd, who was killed by a police officer on May 25, 2020 in Minneapolis. Artists such as Ariana Grande and Megan Thee Stallion are among those that have spread awareness and promoted petitions on Twitter or Instagram to bring attention to the case and get the officers involved charged with murder. 

Many musicians have challenged others to match their donations to the Minnesota Freedom Fund, a nonprofit that pays criminal bail and immigration bonds for those who can’t afford it. One rapper, Noname, helped to raise awareness by challenging other musicians to match her $1,000 donation to the Minnesota Freedom Fund. Rico Nasty, Kehlani, Anime, 6lack and many more responded with donations and also promoted the organization.

While many celebrities have spoken out about George Floyd, there is growing frustration with the deafening silence from others, especially in hip-hop. Some have pointed out the irony of musicians like Bhad Babie, who are silent on issues affecting the black community but constantly appropriating black culture.  

Here are some great places to donate if you would like to help!

The Official George Floyd Memorial Fund is a GoFundMe created by George Floyd’s family dedicated to raising money for George Floyd’s memorial service.

Black Lives Matter was founded to stand up against systemic violence and racism towards Black people.

The Minnesota Freedom Fund helps to raise money for those who can’t afford their bail or immigration bond.

The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is a legal firm fighting for racial justice by taking legal action.

Lastly, the Black Visions Collective is a Black, trans and queer-led Minnesota-based nonprofit and is focused on creating change through a Black-queer lens.