Opinion: Banned Books are Needed for Our Generation

If a child grows up with an understanding of controversial and complicated issues, future generations will be better informed.

12.15.23

Within the last three years, book banning has been at an all-time high. A vast majority of the books being removed are featuring LGBTQIA+ characters, topics regarding racism or race in general, sexual orientation, or sex education — all of which are crucial to a young person’s education and development of tolerance. 

If a child grows up with an understanding of controversial and complicated issues, future generations will be better informed. Books are banned in an effort to filter difference and diversity of thought. Children are being chained to their parents’ and communities’ limiting beliefs, and a large array of books are being marked as “controversial,” even one merely relaying the daily experiences of a middle school girl.

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume is a story following a 12-year-old girl who moved from New York City to a small suburb. It is a tribute to the complicated, yet plain lives of girls making the transition from girlhood to womanhood. 

The book is considered controversial for two main reasons: religion and the talk of menstruation. Margaret grew up without religious affiliation, causing her parents to decide that she can decipher its role in her life as she formulates her views and values. Margaret feels a closeness with God, but more as a comfort and less as a religious figure. Throughout the story, Margaret explores all different religions, seeing the power and uniqueness of each one. 

Recently, a Florida bill banned educators from teaching about menstruation in elementary schools, preventing many young girls from receiving help and information if their cycle — and other changes to their bodies — start before middle school. Additionally, in September 2023, Katy ISD, a district in Texas, banned the book for its seemingly inappropriate content. The bans are ongoing, and will continue to arise as the female experience is marked as offensive. Stories like Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret are revolutionary, making an impact on tween girls because of its relatability, letting them know they are not alone. 

To learn more about Blume’s experience on book banning, watch her documentary.

Young people are speaking out against their education being limited in schools. A 17-year-old student, Isabela Dosanjos, told NPR, "It's honestly an injustice that they're banning those kinds of books in schools. And I think it's very important that we stand up for our rights and what we believe in." 

Younger children in Florida also understand limits banning contributes to their education.

@david.heath.writer 9 and 10 year olds from Florida explain how severe the book banning has been. #desantis #bookbanning #censorship ♬ original sound - David Heath

This topic continues to resurface in the media, as celebrities and other public figures actively work to combat legislation banning books. Pink, singer of “So What” and “What About Us”, distributed a number of banned books at her Florida concert.

@usatoday

Pink is a "rock star" with "rock moves," including giving out banned books at some of her Florida concerts.

♬ The Champion - Lux-Inspira

Additionally, multiple public figures — such as Amanda Gorman — are signing petitions against book banning.

@the_little_bookshop My top #bookrecs from some #bannedbooks #books #booktok #foryou #fypage #thekiterunner #thehateugive #thehungergames #booktoker ♬ 10 Things I Hate About You - Leah Kate

@getbookedwithp So many of these books I grew up reading! 🥺 How many have you read? #booktok #barnesandnoble #comewithmeshopping #bookishthoughts #barnesandnobletrip #booktokforyou #bookish #trendingbooks #booktoker ♬ ceilings - Sped Up Version - Lizzy McAlpine

Eva Roth is a high school senior with a passion for journalism and a specific interest in the ecological challenges resulting from large-scale industries. You can follow her on instagram @eevaroth or checkout her blog www.evathrifts.com.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett