‘The Color Purple’ Still Significant for the Culture Nearly 4 Decades Later

“The Color Purple” is not just a film or musical, it is a real-life depiction of what life was like for African American women, not only in the South but all over: this cultural reset and pioneer of Black voices and Black experiences.

12.25.23

AtlantaAlice Walker’s revolutionary book, “The Color Purple,” was adapted into a movie and released in theaters 38 years ago. Who knew that this historic movie would be remade? Despite the 1985 movie being about domestic violence, incest, child sexual abuse, poverty, racism and sexism, lines and scenes have permeated parts of Black culture.

Writer and producer Tyler Perry constantly quotes Celie, “Until you do right by me,” throughout his Madea character and stage plays. And young generations have gone on to recreate scenes from the film on TikTok.

@tavitavi1977 Madea Meets Sophia From The Color Purple 😂😂😂😂😂 #madeameetssophia #sophiacolorpurple #thecolorpurple #oprah #oprahwinfrey #tylerperry #madea #madeamovieclips #oprahandtylerperry #hilarious #funnyvideos ♬ original sound - Tavi Tavi

The idea for a re-envisioned movie was sparked due to the success of the Broadway musical based on the original film. The show ran from 2005 to 2008, earning numerous awards including 11 Tony Award nominations in 2006. An enthusiastically acclaimed Broadway revival opened in late 2015 and ran through early 2017, winning two 2016 Tony Awards — including Best Revival of a Musical.

When news broke of the film's release, social media went into a frenzy anticipating this film.

To appeal to a newer generation, this modern-day remake utilizes music as storytelling which is different from the original film.

This cast is full of amazing talented actors who have graced the industry for years. Some are: Fantasia Barrino Taraji P. Henson Danielle Brooks and Colman Domingo. Many familiar faces will include singer/songwriter HER, Ciara, and Aunjanue Ellis. 

With this being a musical, there will be many collaborations including Tamala Mann, Mary J. Blige and Fantasia.

The film is in theaters now.

Miracle Trice, (she/her) is from Portland but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers all aspects of entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @miracletb_ .