Friendsgiving: A Gen Z Twist on Thanksgiving

Here’s how Gen Z is making Thanksgiving their own.

11.21.23
Friendsgiving: A Gen Z Twist on Thanksgiving (Spencer Davis via Unsplash)

CaliforniaThanksgiving is fast approaching and with the cool crisp weather plus cozy fall vibes, we are all getting into the holiday spirit. However, some holidays are a fun twist on the traditional. One of these holidays is Friendsgiving. 

According to Delish, Friendsgiving, which dates back to as early as 2007 is a holiday that could have been popularized by shows like “Friends.” After being added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2020, Friendsgiving is defined as “a large meal eaten with friends either on or near Thanksgiving.”

Friendsgiving highlights the importance of a “found” or “chosen” family. In the show ”Friends” you see a group of 20-somethings navigating their life in the big city of New York. They rely on each other just as so many young Gen Zers rely on their friends today. 

Currently, a large portion of Gen Z is in college or navigating their early 20s. This means those who live far away from home can’t make it back for the holidays or some Gen Zers don’t really have close biological families. Whatever the reason might be, Gen Z often considers their friends their family. What better way to celebrate during the festive season than dedicating a day to spend with them?

YouTuber NutritionbyKylie has several videos that can help with preparing for Friendsgiving. In the video, she said Thanksgiving has always been her favorite holiday, but back in college, she couldn’t make it home for the 4-day weekend due to the cost. So Friendsgiving holds a special place in her heart as a possibly unconventional way to celebrate a holiday that she loves.

But what exactly do Friendsgiving festivities look like? Friendsgiving is often just celebrating with a good meal but the possibilities are endless. Here's a video of Emily Mariko preparing for the holiday. 

But maybe you’d like to throw a pajama party, turn it into a bring-your-own board night, or have friends bring food that starts with the same letter as their names. Here’s some inspiration.  

@jackietruong_ fwendsgiving 🫶🏼 #friendsgiving #friendsgiving2022 #fyp ♬ Love You So - The King Khan & BBQ Show

Whatever way you celebrate your Friendsgiving it should be fun, with the people you love while you have a great time. Make some good memories to close out this holiday season and 2023. 

Ayushree Dahal (she/her) is a Bay Area-based journalist.