A Halloween Anime! (Yes, Really)

10.21.23
A Halloween Anime! (Yes, Really) (Courtesy of Netflix)

ChicagoLooking for a good show to watch during the Halloween season? “Castlevania: Knock-turnes it out of the park! Maybe not my best work, but seriously, you should watch this anime.

Continuing off of Netflix’s “Castlevania” anime, “Castlevania: Nocturne” follows Richter Belmont, the descendant of Trevor Belmont from the first show, as well as brand new characters Annette, Maria Renard, and the antagonist Olrox.

After the death of Richter’s mother at the hands of vampire Olrox, Richter, Annette, and Maria learn of a vampire messiah coming to their village in Revolutionary France. As Richter struggles to rediscover his magical powers, they have to work together to stop the sun from permanently being destroyed.

Annette immediately stands out from the quirky cast of characters. Voiced by Thuso Mbedu of “The Woman King, she’s just … cool. The sorceress provides a break from the edgy, flashy Belmonts that we’ve become familiar with, and is a great inciting incident that gets the story rolling.