Jahmil French: ‘Degrassi’ Star Dies at 29

03.03.21
Jahmil French: ‘Degrassi’ Star Dies at 29 (Photo: Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILCanadian actor Jahmil French, known for his role as Dave Turner on “Degrassi: The Next Generation,” died Monday, according to his agent Gabrielle Kachman.

"It is with a heavy heart that I confirm the passing of a dear friend and client Jahmil French," Kachman said in a statement, according to CNN. "He will be remembered by many for his passion for the arts, his commitment to his craft, and his vibrant personality. I ask that you keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time."

A cause of death has not been confirmed for the 29-year-old. 

Stefan Brogren, a fellow cast member, praised French for his performance on the show.

"He performed Dave with such sensitivity and thoughtfulness and could make me laugh so easily," Brogren wrote. "It was a pleasure to work with him and he will be missed. This is a real loss."

French has also appeared in Netflix’s “Soundtrack,” the Pop series “Let’s Get Physical” and the film “Boost.” 

"Soundtrack" creator Joshua Safran paid tribute to French on Twitter, writing, "I can confirm my good friend, co-worker, and all around inspiration, Jahmil French, passed away yesterday. Only posting because I see the story getting out there. I will have more to say about him later. Right now we're all just processing this devastating news."