Lil Durk Creates HBCU Initiative For Chicago Black Males

The Chicago-based rapper said the initiative will provide opportunities for the youth that he didn't have growing up.

05.20.22
Lil Durk Creates HBCU Initiative For Chicago Black Males (Quinn Harris via Getty Images)

Atlanta, GAChicago rapper Lil Durk, aka Durkio, has launched an initiative through his non-profit Neighborhood Heroes Foundation to help bridge the gap between Chicago’s youth and HBCUs.

According to myneighborhoodheroes.org, the mission of the organization is “to empower and collaborate with everyday Heroes who are taking the lead to make a positive difference in the lives of those within under-resourced neighborhoods.”

The Career Readiness initiative will provide 20 male students from the South Side with tours of HBCU campuses and other career opportunities. The students will visit campuses in Atlanta. 

“We surprised 20 Southside kids with Sox suite tickets and @lildurk, who threw out an amazing first pitch!!!! All these students will be a part of our newest program where we’ll be taking them to HBCU Colleges & exposing them to different careers,” Neighborhood Heroes Foundation shared via Instagram.

They expanded on their goals with the program: “We’ll be flying the first cohort of 20 young men to NYC to meet with C-Suite executives from Sony, Alamo Records, and the NY Knicks as they’ll be shadowing these seasoned professionals that look like them and share similar stories.” 

Lil Durk said the initiative will provide opportunities for the youth that he didn't have growing up.