Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne Pinnock Bares All in BBC Doc

07.02.21
Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne Pinnock Bares All in BBC Doc (Photo: JMEnternational/JMEnternational for BRIT Awards/Getty Images)

British pop group Little Mix have been making headlines recently with releasing new music for the first time as a trio, two members announcing their pregnancies and becoming the first girl group to win Best Group at the Brit Awards.

It seems like all eyes are on the band, especially Leigh-Anne Pinnock with the release of her BBC documentary “Leigh-Anne: Race, Pop & Power.” She opened up about her experiences being a Black woman in pop music and being the only one in a group with a predominately white fan base. 

Since the group’s formation 10 years ago on “The X Factor UK”, Pinnock recalled times where she felt treated differently. 

“It’s clear my color was being used to define my image in the group,” she said in the doc, specifically referring to how the show made her shave one side of her head and dye her hair so she would resemble Rihanna. She also mentioned occasions where she felt invisible among their fans and getting ignored while bandmates Jade, Perrie and Jesy were getting all the attention. 

A scene was shown where fans were asked who was their favorite in the group and she was never mentioned. 

The film was shot in 2020 around the time George Floyd’s murder created a massive global movement. After attending Black Lives Matter protests in London and speaking with other protestors, Pinnock went on a journey to not only educate herself about the issue but find ways she could use her voice for good. 

“Conversations surrounding racism and colorism are something that I constantly have with my boyfriend and family,” she said, adding, “and as I have a platform, I want to use that platform to bring this conversation to a wider audience and stand up for my Black and Brown community.” 

Since the doc was released, Pinnock launched The Black Fund to support existing charities and community groups that aid the Black community and fight racism in the UK.