Lizzo’s Body Positivity Message Now on Reality TV

Lizzo’s new dance show highlights body positive, plus-size dancers.

03.24.22
Lizzo’s Body Positivity Message Now on Reality TV (Chris Saucedo via Getty Images for SXSW)

ChicagoSinger Lizzo has teamed up with Amazon Studios to release her new reality dance competition, “Watch Out for the Big Grrrls.” The show premieres Friday on Prime Video. 

The show features a group of 10 plus-sized dancers competing for the coveted spot as one of Lizzo’s ‘Big Grrrls,’ the artist’s celebrated back-up dance troupe. The winner will dance with Lizzo at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. 

https://youtu.be/tgNq_0bsTPU

The potential dancers said they enjoyed their experience on the show because of their interaction with Lizzo. 

“It was like I knew her already,” Moesha Perez, 24, said. “She was supportive every step of the way.”

Ashley Williams, 25, agreed. 

“The moment I saw Lizzo the energy was just there” and “just to know that she was looking for women like us was beautiful,” Williams said. 

Contestant Jasmine Morrison, 31, said that living in the house with the other dancers “felt like a secret club” and that it was both “empowering and exciting, but there was definitely competition too.” 

Besides familiarity and good energy, there was a sense of camaraderie working alongside women of color of all shapes and sizes, Jayla Sullivan, 33, said. 

“It was powerful and I walked away with 9 more sisters. We built each other up and supported each other,” Sullivan said. 

‘Big Grrrls’ is setting itself apart from other reality shows that focus on women, by losing the trademark cattiness of the genre and focusing on sisterhood and confidence.