Malia Obama Directs New Short Film

“The Heart” is written and directed by the 44th president’s oldest daughter.

01.22.24
Malia Obama Directs New Short Film (Dia Dipasupil via Getty Images)

Malia Obama took center stage at the 2024 Sundance Film Festival, unveiling her directorial debut short film, “The Heart,” according to ABC News. The 25-year-old daughter of former U.S. President Barack and Michelle Obama wrote and directed the movie, which revolves around a young man endeavoring to fulfill a final request from his late mother while grappling with the grief of her loss.

The annual festival is held in Utah during January. It has been a mainstay in the cinematic world since 1978. According to Salt Lake Magazine, about 80 films are expected to premiere at the festival.
Over the course of the next week, “The Heart” will grace the screen, featuring a predominantly Black cast and a compelling emotional narrative.

“The film is about lost objects and lonely people, forgiveness and regret, but I also think it works hard to uncover where tenderness and closeness can exist in these things,” Malia said in the film’s trailer.

Obama’s foray into the entertainment industry has been gaining momentum, with previous contributions to Donald Glover’s series “Swarm” and involvement in Halle Berry’s project “Extent.” Professionally known as “Malia Ann,” she played a role in crafting episode five of “Swarm” titled “Girl, Bye.”

The premiere of “The Heart” signifies a significant milestone for the emerging filmmaker. She showcased her distinctive style on the Sundance red carpet, donning combat boots, a gray wool coat, and eye-catching wine-colored goddess braids.

However, Obama is not the sole standout at this prestigious film festival. Celebrities such as Normani, Dominique Thorne and Jay Ellis commanded attention while promoting their film “Freaky Tales.” Normani, in particular, captivated the audience with a two-piece set from AREA, complemented by sheer stockings and furry heels. The singer-actress is on a winning streak, excelling in both her film and fashion endeavors.

With the likes of Obama making impactful directorial debuts, the future of film appears promising at Sundance 2024 and beyond. The festival serves as a platform for emerging talents, and as the entertainment industry continues to evolve, the contributions of young creatives like Malia are a testament to the vibrant future of cinema.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.