Marsai Martin Creates, Produces New ‘Saturdays’ Series

03.12.21
Marsai Martin Creates, Produces New ‘Saturdays’ Series (Photo: Rachel Murray Framingheddu/Getty Images for California Milk Processor Board (got milk?))

ChicagoAfter being named the “youngest Hollywood executive producer,” “Black-ish” star Marsai Martin has a new Disney Channel pilot underway titled “Saturdays.”

The series follows Paris Johnson, played by Danielle Jalade, who, since age 4, has been skating at Saturdays, a local skating rink owned and operated by a former ’90s hip-hop back-up dancer. 

Paris is the leader of a skate crew and is determined to take them all the way to the top. However, she has sickle cell disease, and when it flares up, it’ll take every ounce of determination to prove the doubters wrong.

The series comes from Martin’s production banner, Genius Entertainment.

The 16-year-old took to Instagram to share her excitement for her next project.

“Y’all see me seeing you, right? Can’t wait for this,” Martin wrote in an Instagram post

Martin starred in and executive produced the 2019 film “Little.” She portrays Diane Johnson on “black-ish,” a role that has earned her seven NAACP Image Awards.

“When we met with Marsai about this project, we couldn’t have been more impressed with her passion for diverse storytelling and commitment to female empowerment,” said Rafael Garcia, vice president, Development, Disney Branded Television, according to Deadline