Mermaidcore Trend Still Robust Following ‘Little Mermaid’ Release

The “Mermaidcore” aesthetic is a new favorite visual trend of this summer.

07.10.23
Mermaidcore Trend Still Robust Following ‘Little Mermaid’ Release (Hoda Davaine/Dave Benett/WireImage via Getty Images)

From iridescent mermaid prom dresses to sea-shell home decor, the “Mermaidcore” Trend has reached a peak. Growing steadily since 2020, the trend is taking over this summer season with seascape visuals across a landscape of industries. 

The mermaidcore trend is particularly inspired by the fascination with the ocean and its characterizations. Recent media releases, including ‘The Little Mermaid’ movie, “Ruby Gilman, Teenage Kraken,” Netflix’s “MerPeople,” and TikTok fashion content showcasing mermaid-inspired looks, fueled the dominating trend of the season. Additionally, lead star Halle Bailey embraced the trend at the premiere of “The Little Mermaid.”

Searches for the mermaidcore hashtag and mermaid-inspired visuals have skyrocketed across the media. On TikTok, #Mermaidcore has reached over 16 billion views. According to a report from fashion company Nasty Gal, Google searches for “mermaid style” have risen by 736% throughout the past year. Prior to the anticipated debut of ‘The Little Mermaid’ movie, searches on Pinterest for “mermaid core” increased by 614%.

Ocean-inspired products have made a landing in local and luxe stores, including Dollar Tree home decorations, Flower Knows makeup packaging and Kate Spade New York statement bags. Beauty enthusiasts are embracing the mermaidcore trend by experimenting with makeup looks and fashion designs, as seen in David Koma Resort 2024 and Spring 2023 runways. Fashion looks feature pearl accessories, nail art, wet hair, makeup techniques and unique clothing designs.

@chazlyn.yvonne Ready for May 26th… 🧜🏾‍♀️ #thelittlemermaid #hallebaileyariel #princessariel #mermaidcore #disneyprincess #hallebailey #sirencore ♬ original sound - liveactionhalleariel

The trend’s influence extends beyond the fashion and beauty industries, seeping into graphic designs and Spotify music playlists. Unleashing a widespread wave of attraction, the Mermaidcore aesthetic has officially taken precedence as a dominating trend of the summer season.

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.