Keke and Usher Turned the Negativity Into a Bag

Their drama-filled collab is a bop and tons of petty fun.

08.17.23
Keke and Usher Turned the Negativity Into a Bag (Keke Palmer | Taylor Hill/WireImage via Getty Images; Usher | Paras Griffin via Getty Images for ABA)

Usher released the music video for his new single “Boyfriend” starring Keke Palmer and both are now the king and queen of pettiness. 

Besides being a bop, the video is such a satisfying response to Palmer's ex-boo, Darius Jackson, who publicly shamed the mother of his child’s attire at the Usher concert a few months back. The two are definitely unbothered and are light-hearted about the situation as the lyrics “somebody said that your boyfriend’s looking for me, that's cool,” is the hook of the song.

The 44-year-old R&B sensation made a significant announcement about this single. He chose to drop a tantalizing sneak peek on YouTube and across his social media platforms on a Tuesday. The teaser trailer showcased snippets of both Usher and Palmer, piquing the curiosity of their fans. Palmer herself shared this snippet on the platform formerly known as Twitter, now called X.

How’s Jackson responding? So far, there haven’t been any posts about the song from him. However, “he’s moved on,” according to PEOPLE.

You can bet on Keke to find new ways to keep that check coming no matter what drama she has to deal with.

Fans are loving it.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.

Sydney Wanguhu, (she/her) is from The Bay Area and is an L.A.-based journalist who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on Instagram: @sydneyy._