‘Our Kind of People’ Served ‘Identity and Freedom’ on Platinum Platter

09.22.21
‘Our Kind of People’ Served ‘Identity and Freedom’ on Platinum Platter (Photo: Yaya DaCosta in FOX'S "Our Kind of People" via @foxtv Instagram)

ChicagoFOX’s new nighttime drama with an all-Black cast showcased the African American elite, generational wealth, natural hair versatility and newcomer Alana Kay Bright in Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard. 

“Our Kind of People” debuted Tuesday and didn’t disappoint with its unapologetically Black everything throughout the episode. Viewers went inside the lives of the bourgeois through the Dupont and Franklin families led by Morris Chestnut, Nadine Ellis, Joe Morton and L. Scott Caldwell. 

https://twitter.com/qsteph/status/1440493173738856460?s=20
https://twitter.com/Two_Cams25/status/1440492671944978438?s=20

The Black one-percenters will have their lives disrupted by the Vaughn family from Boston, led by Yaya DaCosta, Debbi Morgan and Bright, a University of Southern California student. The Vaughns, haircare entrepreneurs, are trying to get in where they fit in and claim what’s rightfully theirs.

And they’re selling more than shampoo. They’re selling “identity and freedom,” Angela (DaCosta), Nikki (Bright) and Aunt Piggy (Morgan) said about Eve’s Crown, the business Angela’s late mother started in her kitchen.

Alana Kay Bright | @alanakaybright via Instagram

So, what should you know about Bright?

• She’s a musical theatre major
  • She was featured in HBO Max’s “Homeschool Musical: Class of 2020”
  • She grew up in Houston, Texas
  • She’s speaks about against racial injustice

Check out Bright in FOX’S “Our Kind of People” on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.