Learning To Love My Curly, Kinky Hair

07.07.19
Learning To Love My Curly, Kinky Hair (Kiara taking a selfie in front of a mirror. Photo courtesy of Kiara Roberson)

Growing up, I hated my natural curly, kinky hair. I remember asking God to give me longer, straighter hair.

Throughout elementary school, my mom always kept my hair braided with extensions. She thought it was the easiest way to keep my hair looking nice.  But eventually, it got so expensive that she stopped paying for it.

In middle school, I walked in with my natural hair. I thought “my hair is crazy nappy.”  I was already self-conscious, but then my friends started asking where my braids went. Their questions made me even more insecure.

One day, I read a book about self-worth and becoming a better me. It helped me learn to love myself, and I thought my hair would be a good first step. I reached out to my aunt for tips about natural hair care.

She helped me find products and styles that worked for me. I started wearing twist-outs and braided ponytails, and started loving my hair the way it naturally grew -- kinky, curly, beautiful and all mine.

I realized I can’t change the hair I was born with, so I had to find the beauty in it.