Rich at 20: Flo Milli Flexes on Her Debut Mixtape

07.31.20
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtwxBdh9Sr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Female rap is amid a new golden era, with non-stop releases from an amazing crop of talent — this year we've seen drops from Megan Thee Stallion, City Girls and now Alabama native Flo Milli. At only 20 years old, Flo Milli has blown up with her singles “Beef FloMix” and “In The Party,” which both went viral on TikTok. We get even more of more of her sassy teen demeanor with her first full-length release, “Ho, Why Is You Here?”

The mixtape’s title lets you know exactly the vibe you’re in for and every track is teeming with her jaunty energy. Flo Milli’s flows are cocky and confident and she uses the body of work as a canvas for her signature attitude. From the now-iconic ad-lib “Flo Milli Shit!” to her chanting “I walk around like that bitch!/Cuz I am that!” like it’s a mantra, it’s clear she’s confident. The “In The Party” music video shows her as the most popular girl in school, and that’s the best way to describe her style. The project has no features, so it’s all eyes on Flo Milli this summer. 

In her latest visual for “Weak,” she raps on a classic car while draped in a lengthy durag and counts her money. Flo Milli lets us know what she’s about, and it’s not men. The album's five singles are each accompanied with a sickening visual, as “Ho, Why Is You Here?” introduces Flo Milli in her place as a teenage sweetheart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B2iv-7bNDQ&feature=youtu.be

Some key tracks on the mixtape include the now-iconic “Beef FloMix,” and singles “Like That B*tch” and ”Weak.” Similar to the eerily familiar “Weak,” “May I” samples a 90’s classic, referencing Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice” for its hook. One of my favorite tracks is “Pussy Cat Doll”, a new bad bitch anthem.

Flo Milli is young, but she’s already showing her prowess and receiving cosigns from major names in the rap game. It’s her first release, so I can’t wait to hear more from her in the future and see where she grows from here. 

Listen to Flo Milli’s Ho, “Why Is You Here?” here.